Thursday, March 3, 2016

Keri Arthur: City of Light

In a new series Keri Arthur takes the readers where human and shifters went to war and changed the whole world:

During the war, the Humans knew that they were no match for the shifters' strength and power, so they decided to try and even the field by creating the Déchet, part human part animal part something else. The human mixed DNA from multiple creatures to create the déchet and each one was different depending on what purpose they were to serve in the war. Nevertheless, the Humans still lost the war and as punishment the Shifters killed all the déchet, except for one. Tig survived the slaughter and has lived alone and in hiding ever since. Tig is about to be pulled into a war she knows nothing about when she risks her own life to save a child from a group of vampires. Tig is now out in the open, trying to hide what she is but she not only has the vampires on the tail but also a strange new form of Wraith that is out during the day, abducting children and if it one thing that will pull Tig from her isolation it is saving children.

This is the second book that I have read by Arthur. The only other book that I have read by Arthur was Full Moon Rising and there was a reason I did not decide to continue on in that series; too much romance and too many sex scenes, which is not really my thing. Although there are some sex scenes within this novel (I knew it would be too much to ask for none) I found that they were not too long (aka easy to skip over) and only one you needed really needed to read due to the information that was obtained from that scene. There is also very little romance within the book, it is hinted at, so I think there is some to come in the future in this series. This was a vast improvement from Full Moon Rising (in my opinion) that I ended up really enjoying City of Light.

I enjoyed the world building, it was not too complex yet Arthur was still make it feel like a completely different Earth. This Earth had a very dark/grey feel to it as the lights are needed to keep the vampires away and of course there is a class system. What I found interesting about the class system that is was based on the level you lived on and basically the closer to the lights the higher in class you were and hence safer. The concept of a Rift was new to me as well, though i'm still not quite sure what a rift was, seems to be part dark magic but also can transport you to a different place. I'm hoping the concept of a rift is explained further in the series as it seems to be a favourite tool of the wraiths. I'm also not sure about what happened to all the Humans after the war. Tig never seems to interact with them and though they are made mention of as surviving after the shifters won, they seem to be lacking in the story (unless Arthur considers witches humans then disregard this note...).

I liked Tig as a character (one of my favourites in a long time) and while she may have been created as a seduction weapon, I liked that Arthur did not have this as her only skill that she solely relied. Tig proved herself in more than one situation that she has a military mind, can use multiple types of weapons and can fight with the best of them. Tig has had to adapt to a very unique situation in which she is the last of her kind and has to keep what she is hidden if she interacts with those who live in Central City but she tries to avoid that in all cost. Tig is a very strong character but I found she was not the typical kickass but at times whiny character that is often portrayed in this genre. Tig is just so much more; she is kind, strong, not full of herself at all and just wants to protect those who she views are weaker, especially children and her ghosts.

Arthur was very smart in that the déchet were created and had different DNA (shifter, vampire, human ect) to create her which gives her almost limitless ideas to play with the powers, abilities and feature that Tig could have. I really enjoyed her interaction with the ghosts that she has lived with since the war ended (an ever reminder that she survived when others did not) and how she uses them to protect her home.

It has been awhile since I have read a shifters based book and I really enjoy what Arthur did within the urban fantasy genre. I really really enjoyed Tig as a character and it is her that I liked most about this book. You will notice I didnt really mention anything of the mystery aspect of the book above. This aspect almost felt secondary in the whole book and this book was more about discovering who Tig was as a character in these circumstances. I am looking forward to the next book in this series.

Enjoy!!!
If You Like This,
Check These Out Too:
http://j9books.blogspot.ca/2012/07/j-c-daniels-blade-song.html  http://j9books.blogspot.ca/2013/04/amanda-carlson-full-blooded.html  http://j9books.blogspot.ca/2014/07/anne-bishop-written-in-red.html

No comments:

Post a Comment