Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Anne Bishop: Etched in Bone

This is the final book in a series, so you will need to read the previous books (Written in Red, Murder of Crows, Vision in Sliver and Marked in Flesh) to understand what is going on in this book. That aside I highly recommend this series and trust me it will be hard to stop after reading the first book.
Anne Bishop is back with her amazing Others series, and this time trouble is brewing close to home:


Something new and frightening has come to Lakeside, they want to remain unseen to observe and not interfere with the goings on there but that is shortly lived. You think the humans would have learned after the elders put a stop to the HLF group but some are slow learners. Meg has asked the cards and the future is grim, and uncertain but no one could predict the actions that humans would take to try to try to change their fortunes.

I believe this is the last book in the series and it was a good read, though the first book Written in Blood  and the previous book in this series Marked in Flesh are still my top two. It is always sad in some ways to see a series you have really enjoyed end, but at the same time I am glad that Bishop decided to end it all the same. It appeared, to me,  in this book that Bishop struggled to have a main villain and conflict for the characters to work through. Do not get me wrong there are still quite a few unanswered question, especially those around the cassandra sangue but I think the storyline in Lakeside is done. Maybe Bishop will just have cameos of the main characters in this series, just so we don't lose touch with them completely.


I think that it was smart to highlight the food shortage that the world is experiencing though I question whether this should one of the main obstacles with in the book. I also found it funny that the majority of Humans do not seem to learn, they should know by now the powers that the Others have yet they continue to not only test them but make the same mistakes. I think this is also a good reason for the story at Lakeside to end as the inability of the humans to learn in these books has become repetitive.
It was interesting adding the elders in this book and I wish we could know not only more about them but what they look like. The secrativness is killing me lol. That said it made each reader use their own imagination to picture what the Elders looked like and how they made themselves invisible. I just hope we haven't seen the last of them.

Meg and Simon are as strong as ever but the stand out character  for me in this book was Chief Burke. Bishop really developed him more as a character in this book and showcased  his power and influence over the humans/police, which is very much needed in Lakeside. I actually think it would be interesting to have a prequel to these books with Burke when he was a younger man in the wild country and what he learned there. I think it would be interesting, entertaining and I think pretty dark as well.
This is a great series and I am looking forward to reading the spin off that is set in this world in 2018.

Enjoy!!!
If You Like This,
Check These Out Too:
http://j9books.blogspot.ca/2011/02/dianne-sylvan-queen-of-shadows.html?m=1  http://j9books.blogspot.ca/2016/03/keri-arthur-city-of-light.html?m=1  http://j9books.blogspot.ca/2016/07/kim-falconerthe-blood-in-beginning.html?m=1

No comments:

Post a Comment