Friday, November 13, 2020

Jim Butcher: Storm Front

One of the first Urban Fantasy series out there Jim Butcher shows readers what Wizards are really capable of:

Harry Dresden is the best at what he does, well he is the only Wizard that advertises his services for hire as a Wizard. Harry is very good at all things that are paranormal and tends to have a knack for finding things. But to say people often go looking for a Wizard is an understatement. Where he makes most of his money is consulting with the Chicago Police department when they have a murder that does not make any sense. When Harry is called to a double, what is believed to be murder scene, he has no idea how it was done, but Harry has to stop whom ever did it. It will take a Wizard to catch a Wizard and Harry must use everything at his disposal not only to find the Wizard but stay alive as well.

I cannot even remember how long I have had this book on my shelf, it has been many many years, I don't think 20 (the book was released in 2000) but I want to say at least 10 years likely more and I have to say that this book, in many ways, shows it's age. I think that 20 years ago this book would have been amazing and at the forefront of the urban fantasy genre but reading it now I don’t know, it had a hard time holding my attention, and there were many dated facts throughout that it just felt stale. However, there were points within the book that I could not fault Butcher's imagination with how Harry creates potions or some of the Demons that attack / darker elements.

Harry is pretty fantastic character with his whit standing out most to me. He very much has an underdog type of vibe to him which you do not see in many main character, secondary characters sure, but not so much the main characters. Plus I like that Butcher did not have Harry be this all powerful Wizard that can do anything with magic and spells. There are limits to his powers, and he requires items to help focus them at times. I did like that he had Harry carry a staff, very Lord of the Rings of him.

I enjoyed that wizards affect electronic modern items. For example Harry is forced to have cold showers as the water tank requires electricity to turn on and he has to live by candle light as light bulbs and him do not mix. I do want to see what it would be like for him to pass endless people with smart phones, he’d be responsible for a surge in iPhone sales lol.

Although I found this book dated when reading it now, I know I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I would have read it when it was first released. I think that I will continue reading this book just for Harry, he is the kind of character that draws you into the story even when the plot is not as interesting as you would like it to be.

Enjoy!!!

If You Like This,
Check This Out Too:
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment