Monday, January 23, 2023

Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff: Aurora Rising

In the first in a new series Kaufman and Kristoff take on a intergalactic space travel where to ensure the future of worlds, lies with a young woman from the past:

The year is 2380 and the cadets from the Aurora Academy are extremely excited to be graduating and to start their missions. Instead of being part of the graduation, star pupil Tyler Jones responds to a distress call to a ship that had been missing for hundreds of years. So although Tyler was a Hero with the rescue mission, he missed the draft to pick his team, so instead of having the dream team, he is left with the recruits that no one wanted (other than his sister and best friend). They accept their first mission but something is not right especially when they discover the woman, Auri, that Tyler rescued stowed away on their ship. Auri is a woman out of time and space but seems to be the key to many things and possibly the catalyst for war. Now this team of misfits must race across space as they are the last hope to save the galaxy.

This is the first book that I have read by Kaufman and Kristoff (yes do not come for me, I have not read their Illuminate series) and I really enjoyed this book. I do not read too many sci-fi books as I can get lost in the technical terms and all the science they try to put on the reader, but I found this book was easy to read, follow and understand. I really enjoyed that they were able to create such an intricate world with different species without getting too technical about it. 

Wow that was quite a ride, and I really enjoyed this book and I loved that each character had their own chapters to give their POV of what was happening around them. You will tend to like some characters more than others, which happens in any book, but was I the one who I liked best was Zila . I know she had extremely short chapters but she is awesome in her craziness and sociopathic natures. There really is a character that anyone to like in this book and I didn't really find fault with any of the characters in the book, they are all different enough that they do not begin to sound the same.

When the bad guy is fully revealed, it was just wow, truly wow that is a scary beast, that I would not want to mess with. I am really looking forward to see how Kaufman & Kristoff use what the bad guy is capable of and how far they are entrenched in the worlds/society that this book takes place in. From where they are in this book it already seems pretty far.

So far it seems like there is not going to be any type of love triangle which is common in YA novels, so I am happy for that. Is there some relationships that appear to be developing, Yes, but they do not overshadow the overall story.

Loved this book and I wish I would have read it sooner (but also glad that the other 2 books in the series have already been released). I cannot wait to see where Kaufman & Kristoff takes this series.

Enjoy!!!
If You Like This,
Check These Out Too:
    

No comments:

Post a Comment