Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Gillian McAllister: Wrong Place Wrong Time

Gillian McAllister questions if you could prevent a murder before it happens. would you?

Jen, a protective mother of her only child still hasn't gotten over waiting up for her son to come home after a night out, even though he is now 18. While Jen is watching her son walk down the street and then another man appears and starts to approach him. It is late at night and this cannot be a coincidence. the next thing you know there is a knife in your son's hand and he has stabbed the stranger, to death and arrested by the police. She goes to bed that night believing all is lost, only to wake up and discover it is Yesterday, the murder has not yet taken place. This is the beginning of Jen's journey, to find out why her son murdered a Man and what she can do to stop it.

This is the first book that I have read by McAllister and overall, I am impressed with how McAllister decided to execute this book. I liked that aspect of going back in time and the amount that she goes back varies and seem to represent significant events, even if Jen (and the reader) cannot figure out what the even it. However, I will say that this book is a pretty slow burn till around the 75% mark as this is where a lot of questions are answered and we finally get to start to find out the BIG pieces that have set Jen and her family on this path that has led to a murder, but you do need to get there.

The book really does take a turn, and not for the better in the middle of the book. The main theme really became not about the murder her son is about to commit but how bad of a mom Jen was and sees herself now as and that She is the reason for the murder occurring. There are many points of time where this is pointed out and it made me mad at times. Basically, a slam toward working moms and while Yes, I feel like it was natural for Jen to feel this way at some point in the path backwards, I think that it was drawn out too long.

I really enjoyed trying to put all the parts together and trying to suss out the important events from each period of time that Jen enters, especially when she was going farther and farther back. I'm glad that we also had a dual POV with that of Ryan to break up points in the book and give a more police perspective. I can really say that I did not have it all figured out as to the big twists and turns along the way, but I really enjoyed how McAllister (eventually) had everything play out.

I enjoyed this book especially the beginning and end but felt like I really had to push in the middle of the book. I enjoyed the creativity of the book and I think this is the first book that I have read that has dealt in time travel in this way. I look forward to picking up other books by McAllister.

Enjoy!!!!

If You Like This,
Check These Out Too:
    

No comments:

Post a Comment