Monday, June 19, 2023

Darynda Jones: A Hard Day for a Hangover

This is the third and final book in Darynda Jones' Sunshine Vicram series, so you will need to read the previous two, A Bad Day for Sunshine and A good Day for Chardonnay to understand the running story throughout the three books as well as the relationship between the characters. Plus, they are fund reads, so win win.

Darynda Jones is back with the third (and final) book in her Sunshine Vicram series, when a hike leads to a string of missing women:

Sheriff Sunshine Vicram would like to have one day that is peaceful and easy and just get some regular work done (which does not include chasing a racoon around the station). But the fates have something else planned for her when a woman's body is discovered by a hiker, thankfully she is alive but has been badly beaten an assaulted. Sunshine will do everything she can to ID this victim and catch who did this too her. He daughter Auri wants the same things and decides to do some sleuthing on her own. These actions lead to Sunshine and Auri to come to the attention of the would be murderer with deadly consequences.

I read this book a bit ago and I cannot remember it that well but what I do remember I enjoyed it. (this is why i have to write my opinions right after i read or during) but a few months have passed and I didn’t write a review I've completely forgotten about it....oops, and what really happened. As I write this review more aspects have come back to me but lessoned learned write things down right away. The main aspect I do remember was the whole bus scene at the end really did have me on the edge of my seat, even though you know Jones is not going to let anything bad happen, right? That was a nail biter time in the book and had me sucked in, you will not want to put the book down at this point.

Personally, I think there was something lacking in this book, at times it felt a bit rushed that Jones knew she had to wrap quite a few things up but still wasn’t able to get to everything. I found that I did not enjoy this book as much as the previous two. I think the whole secret society thing is not well played out and needed more explaining and more involvement in the story if it was supposed to be such a big deal. I mean nothing was really truly affected by that society especially in this book in regard to the missing women which means that it didn’t really serve a purpose, therefore, didn't need to be there.

As the final book of this trilogy everything does wrap up nicely and FINALLY Sunshine figures a few things out, what we have all known and been waiting for since the first book. I'm not sure if all of Sunshine or Auri's stories are over and I wonder if Jones will do a YA spin off series from this one featuring Auri. I think it would be a smart/fun idea, maybe once she is a bit older and attending college and crime happen there kind of thing.

So overall a fun book and fun series that has some laughable moments as well as some mystery to keep you entertained throughout the book. These really are easy reads and nice palate cleansers for some of the other books i read and i would read another contemporary series by Jones (before this I had only read part of her Grimm Reaper series).

Enjoy!!!

If You Like This,
Check These Out Too:
    

No comments:

Post a Comment