Saturday, August 6, 2022

Jennifer Hillier: Things We do in the Dark

Jennifer Hillier shows that your past can always come back to haunt you:

Paris Peralta wakes up on the bathroom floor, covered with her husband's blood and she is being arrested by police and charged with his murder. The case looks really bad and with her husband's celebrity status she knows that there will be a lot of media coverage, something that Paris wants desperately to avoid. Twenty-five years earlier Ruby Reyes, The Ice Queen, was convicted of murdering on of her lovers with an ice skate. Ruby recognizes Paris, knows her secrets and threatens to expose them all. 

This is the first book that I have read by Hillier and it was a good book, but I will say that my expectations were let down a bit with all the rave reviews I have been seeing. I enjoyed the plot, characters, pacing and LOVED the format that this book is written in (dual timelines) but I found that the book was predictable and I was able to figure out all of the twists, I missed having something shocking come my way.

I really enjoyed Paris as a character and everything that she has gone through to get to this point in her life. The amount she has suffered and dealt with you know that she is a strong individual. It was such a happy point to see her find love with Jimmy and finally have a life that is worth living.

I'm a big fan of duel timelines as I find that you get to know characters better and this case, it is very much before and after some really critical events. I also liked the addition of Drew's perspective that enters later in the story as through him we get some of the investigative information (though I think that this information was wasted a bit) around the Ice Queen and Joey's death. I wish we would have had a final chapter of the podcast that Drew wrote about the Ice Queen, I think it would have been an interesting take and would have brought the book full circle in a way. 

I was pretty shocked at the warnings that were given before this book and with those warnings I thought that the book would be a lot darker than the book was. Yes, the events that are warned about in the book happen, and they are not overly glazed over but they are not given in such a full description that I think that it warrants warnings at the beginning. I have read books that had no warning about any of the subject and they were much more descriptive and darker in nature than this book.

This was a good book, more character driven than plot driven, as I did find it predictable. As this is the first book that I have read by Hillier, I look forward to reading the other books that she has already released.

Enjoy!!!!
If You Like This,
Check These Out Too:
    

No comments:

Post a Comment