Thursday, July 7, 2016

Richard Newell Smith: Naked Fear

 Richard Newell Smith shows just how far one woman will go to ensure her survival:

A good old fashion Whore Hunt (yes, you did not read that wrong) that Annie finds herself part of. The last thing remembers is sharing a cup of coffee with the last patron in her bar and the next thing she knows she's on a secluded island with men with guns and hounds hunting her and two other women. Now Annie is on the run for her life and she wonders if she can stay alive long enough to get her own revenge on these men and turn the hunter into the hunted.

This book was not quite what I expected it to be and it moved a lot slower than I thought it would. I thought this book was going to be about the hunt and that the actual hunt would be a longer scene in the book other than just the first chapter. Also based upon the description I pictured more of Annie fighting back during the hunt but instead we get Annie fighting back in the real world. So you may have guessed it she does survive the whore hunt (I'm not really giving anything away this is literally the first chapter) and makes it her mission to get revenge on those who were part of it. I guess I wanted more of a blood battle and what I got was white collar type of revenge. This shift from what I thought the premise was for the book is what caused it to feel like it moved at a slow pace; with Annie planning, getting close to the men and then putting her plan in action. I was not really enjoying this book till the latter half when Annie finally is able to put her plan into action and once this was occurring the book did become way more interesting. However, I will say that it felt like her plan fell in to place way too easily with her meeting the right people and finding things out right really quickly.

Annie is an interesting character and to begin with she has the blood lust of just wanting to shoot the men involved. However, based upon her lawyer's advice she decides against that action and decides to ruin them in a more white collar way. I will say that this is smart of her, but i question if really changing her hair color is enough to be enough of a disguise especially when she gets up close and personal with them. She also is way too trusting of people she just met and does not stop to think of the consequences involved with her actions.

The secondary characters in this book are not developed in this book, so all the information that we gain it through Annie. I think it would have been interesting to have some points of view of the men that were hunting Annie just to show how two faced and evil these men were and it might have added to my interest in the story.

Although the book grew on me by the end, I just was expecting something very different than what I got that it spoiled to book for me. I noticed this book is possible part of series and I wonder where Smith can take this book and characters from here. I read this more as a stand alone.

Cheers!!!
Instead Of This,
Check These Books Out: 
http://j9books.blogspot.ca/2016/04/lisa-lutz-passenger.html  http://j9books.blogspot.ca/2015/12/a-j-arlidge-eeny-meeny.html  http://j9books.blogspot.ca/2013/05/sohpie-littlefield-bad-day-for-sorry.html

No comments:

Post a Comment