Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Hannah Grace: Icebreaker

In her debut novel, Hannah Grace pits a Hockey Player and Figure Skater against each other and ice shaving fly:

Anastasia (Stassie) has worked her entire life to make it as a pair’s skater for Team USA with the hopes of competing at the Olympics. Nathan has always wanted to be a professional hockey player and this is his last year in College and he just has to keep his and his teams in line and he will be off to the NHL. What neither knew is that they were on a collision course once they are forced to share ice time and things get further complicated when Nate is forced to practice with Stassie and Stassie is not a fan of hockey players.

Not my usual read but it's nice to read something different every now and then and I really felt invested in the characters and storyline right away. The storyline is fluffier than I am used to and basically they are forced to share ice time due to some unfortunate circumstances and the relationship that unfold from there, with a little bit of a bad guy in the form of Stassie’s skating partner Aaron. I will say that there are times in their relationship when I wanted to throttle each of them for being immature over certain aspects, especially Nate's inability (and sometimes controlling) to let Stassie figure things out on her own, especially things involving Aaron. He does redeem himself a few times throughout the book, but the controlling gets tiring. But I will say that both characters do grow throughout the book.

Boy that was spicey and steamy, or maybe it was just me. I don't read too many romance novels in a year so i'm not sure if this is a normal or more than normal, all i can say is the other romance books I have read in previous years did not have this many and Grace really doesn’t leave anything to the imagination. I will say that most of the sex scenes were pretty vanilla, nothing dark happening here. I will say that the steamy does drop off in the latter half of the book and the book does seem to drag on quite a bit at the end, I think Grace could have ended things a bit sooner. I mean there wasn’t much of a plot to begin with outside of their relationship and that drama had sailed a bit ago, so she didn’t need to write that much more.

I appreciated that Grace decided to make sure that there was consent in this book, I mean Hockey players are normally portrayed as the assholes in books and movies and it was nice to see Grace take a different approach. I mean all of the guys in the house and on the team seem like puppy dogs most of the time but also willing to protect their teammates and their girlfriends. it was a very playing house feeling throughout the whole book.

Well, I’m invested Grace has me, I would totally read another book from her and I am excited to pick up the next book in the series coming out later this year.

Enjoy!!!!!
If You Like This,
Check These Out Too:
  

No comments:

Post a Comment