Monday, August 3, 2026

Elise Kova: Prince of Swords

In the second book in her Arcana Academy series, Elise Kova show what it takes and the sacrifices that need to be made when you want to remake the world:

I really enjoyed the first book in this series, it was probably one of my favourite reads last year with the extremely unique magic system set around the tarot cards and how they are wielded. That said I felt like this book fell short for me. The beginning and the last 25% were very strong but the middle aspect is where Kova lost me.

This book lacked the political intrigue that i really enjoyed in the first book as well as the suspense with Clara not wanting to be found. Is there some of these aspects in this book yes, but they are very much at the beginning and end of the book and they fall to the background in the middle. The main aspect of this book is the relationship between Clara and Kaelis and while this is important, especially with the ending, I found it cause the book to drag a bit for me.


Clara’s resilience is tested multiple times within this book and her ability to adapt is her new reality and situations is astounding. As much as this book was about Clara’s and Kaelis' relationship. I still feel like I don’t know him as a characters I do wish we had some  POV from him.


I honestly adore the magic system in this book and I love that Kova has a glossary in the back of the book that explains which each card can do and what each set has an affinity for. I loved that we get even more cards in this book.


While this book did not meet my expectations, I will for sure be reading the next book in the series. I can’t wait to see how Kova will have the ending of this trilogy play out. I think there are some interesting aspect coming and I for one cannot wait to read them.


Enjoy!!!!

If You Like This,

Check These Out Too:

    


No comments:

Post a Comment