Friday, June 13, 2014

Dana Cameron: Seven Kinds of Hell

In her first full length book (I understand that there are some short stories within the same world that she has also done, but I have not personally read) in a paranormal series, Dana Cameron takes the readers on an archeological hunt for figures that could unlock one of the most deadly forces that has ever threaten mankind:

Zoe and her mother have been on the run as long as she can remember. Her mother swears that Zoe's father is part of a bad family and they need to avoid them at all cost. When Zoe's mother dies, she plans to take their exit plan and leave the city but Zoe's "cousin" is kidnapped by a Russian mobster who is obsessed with a Greek figurine that Zoe has in her possession as well as wants her to find the others to complete the set believing that they hold the key to Pandora's Box. Zoe will do anything to save his life, but her father's "people" have found her she is on the run from them as well. However, they hold to secret of who/what Zoe really is, she is Fangborn and only they can help her control the powers that she has kept hidden for so long. It is going to take every part of Zoe to track down the missing pieces of the box and to save herself and friends in the process, that mean allying herself with the people that she has been running from her entire life.

I always struggle to find a werewolf based book, especially in the past years, that are not over sexualized and the book is more paranormal romance than paranormal mystery. In this aspects Cameron really succeeds and made me very happy, lol. This book had everything that I wanted it to: Werewolves: Check. Different concept involving Werewolves and Vampires: Check. Cool use of archeology and anthropology: Check. But for some unknown reason I could not get into this book. I have no idea why, but something in this novel never grabbed a hold of me and I found that I was willing to put the book down.

I honestly don't know what happened, the only think that I can find that I did not like about the book is I found that Cameron (and it is not really a dislike but more of a criticism) is that I found that Cameron tries to pour too much information into this book. Cameron finds the need to explain the world because Zoe does not know what she or where she came from. This means that the reader is learning about this world along with Zoe, so that is a lot of information to take in. On top of this information the reader is given in relation to the search for the artifacts, proper archeological terms and techniques as well as the history about the artifacts and the time that they came from. The book just gets a little too convoluted to all the information that Cameron is trying to bring forward.

Zoe is a very likeable character. Although she does not what she is or if she is going insane, she is willing to put herself on the line in order to save those that she loves. She always seems to come second in every situation, even though she is not a fighter, she is willing to use her wits in order to survive, as her and her mom had being doing so for a long time. I am interested to know more about the Fangborn and how Zoe's father and family rank within their hierarchy as well as their history. Although Cameron tries to put in as much as possible about the Fangborn, there are still many gaps that need to be filled and I want to know more.

I would read the next book in this series, as it seemed to have so many things going for it that I am unable to actually pinpoint why I was not able to get into this book. I think that Cameron could have something here, and I want to know more about Zoe, I just hope the next book can really deliver.

Enjoy!!!
If You Like This,
Check These Out Too:
http://j9books.blogspot.ca/2010/12/kalayna-price-once-bitten.html  http://j9books.blogspot.ca/2013/04/amanda-carlson-full-blooded.html  http://j9books.blogspot.ca/2014/01/rebekah-turner-chaos-born.html

No comments:

Post a Comment