Monday, December 23, 2019

Ruth Ware: The Turn of the Key

Ruth Ware takes the readers to a isolated manor where nothing is what it seems:

All she was looking for a change when she stumbles across a nannying add that seems too good to be true; the money, the location though a bit isolated is beautiful and the house has been completely renovated and has become a “smart” home. She believes that she has hit the jackpot of jobs, even though there seems to have been a high turn over nannies before her. What she doesn’t realize as why all those other nannies left and the nightmare that is about to begin and will endothelial the death of  a child. She is doing everything she can to explain what happened, what it was truly like living there and to prove her innocence before it is too late.

This is the first book that I have read by Ware and going into this book I had very high expectations, just based upon the reviews I had seen and it seemed to me that Ware and her books were turning up on all of my social media feeds. This book mainly met my expectations, there were a few times when I didn’t understand some of the main characters decisions while watching the children, seemed a little dumb especially for someone who had worked with children before  and I was able to figure out one of the three main twists in the book.

Ware has a way of writing that even though I did not think this was going to be a suspenseful book it was full of it especially when Rowan starts her Nanny job. Ware knows how to create a creepy atmosphere and ambiance through her writing skills. I felt like I could feel the draft coming from the closet or hear the creaks coming from the ceiling. Chills I tell you, Chills. You keeping reading wanting to know what is causing all the strange happenings occurring through out the  house and ground. Is it ghosts, the smart house, the children or her employer; I’m not going to tell.

I feel like the case against her would not have gone to court. The evidence was too circumstantial and no Crown would want to go to court with all the holes and lack of evidence, even with a confessions. A good lawyer totally would have been able to get that thrown out and it seemed to me like she was writing to a good one. While she is telling her story you cannot help but feel sorry for her and the for facts she tells this feeling just deepens, you want the purpose for her letter to succeed. 

I really enjoyed this book and I know that I will read another book by Ware again. Ware really seems to have the gift for writing and engrossing you in the story so I look forward to discovering her other works.

Enjoy!!!!
If You Like This,
Check These Out Too:
   

No comments:

Post a Comment