Monday, August 2, 2021

Roz Nay: The Hunted

Roz Nay takes her readers on an African Island vacation with 2 couples but one of them is stalker who will stop a nothing to get what they want:

Stevie is looking for a fresh start, the ability to be someone different and new, someone other than who she is after the sudden loss of her grandmother and everything back home being screwed up due to it. He boyfriend, Jacob, suggests a vacation, somewhere completely different from their small town. The end up on an island just off of Tanzania, at an Ecotourist spot where Jacob can also work as a diver. Along the way they meet another couple names Leo and Tamsin who appear to be experts at traveling, and are able to help Stevie and Jacob navigate Africa. When they all end up at the same Ecotourist spot, relationships are put to the test and the question of how well do you really know the person you are with. Could one of them be capable of murder?

This was the first book that I have read by Nay, so I wasn't sure what to expect from the book but I found the premise really interesting, and what Nay presents here. that in my opinion, is a Domestic Suspense book that really will have you wanting to read on from the very first sentence. I think of it more as in the domestic suspense genre as it involves two couples and the interaction between them. There is suspense on many levels between the two couples, not just in a psychological way, but a physical and sexual one as well. Do I think that Nay achieved the suspense throughout the entire book, No, it ebb and flowed but I did find that it was quite slow at times, but I wanted to read on to see what would happen next, so it was able to keep me reading throughout.

It is always interesting when you read a book and you do not like any of the characters, and you’re not really rooting for anyone, I mean you don't want anyone to get hurt, but there are very few likeable qualities among the main characters. Even that of Stevie who is one of the POV, I just found her selfish, childish and just not true to herself throughout the book (though i will admit she does grow by the end of the book). Leo is also an interesting character mainly due tot he fact as to how Nay portrays him in this book, but the same point not a very likeable character, he is creepy, clingy and entitled throughout. I feel like not liking any of the characters this is a unique experience, that I actually do not mind, I do not think that it took away from my enjoyment of the book.

I know, for me, when an author really tries to convince me of one thing I look in the totally opposite direction and that was true in this book, so I was able to figure it out, and it wasn't a big shocker in the end. Honestly, I thought that it made perfect sense to me and how people manipulate others. And lets just say this book has a lot of manipulation going on, and Nay shows that she has no problems with mind games for her characters and her readers.

This is the first book I have read by Nay and it won’t be the last. I look forward to checking out her other novels.

Enjoy!!!
If You Like This,
Check These Out Too:
   

No comments:

Post a Comment