Friday, November 5, 2021

Shannon Mayer: Priceless

In the first in a series, Shannon Mayer shows the length one woman will go to, to find a missing child:

Rylee is a Tracker, she has set up her own PI business that specializes in finding lost or stolen children. All she needs is there name and she can get a lock on them, whether they are alive, dead or on the other side of the veil. The only child she has never been able to find was her own sister, which is how she got placed on an FBI watch list and giver her her own personal FBI stalker. On Rylee's latest salvage, everything seems to be going wrong, and Rylee is targeted by more than one creature or group. Rylee knows it is going to take everything she has to bring this child home.
 
Wow, this book really surprised me, in a great way, and I do not know why I have not heard of this series before. I picked up my copy of this book from a little free library. I have been struggling to find a series to replace Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews, and I think I may have found it with this series. This book was dark, witty and just kept you on the edge of your seat the entire book, even when Mayer was developing the backstory of  Rylee.

Rylee is my type of character for Urban Fantasy books, she is already great with all assortment of weapons and can fight dirty when she need to. Plus you cannot help but love the profession she has chosen as a tracker of children who have been taken on either this side or the other side of the Veil. She just wants to bring them home whether it is dead or alive and this is helped with her ability to feel where the children are, as well as their feelings, she is also immune to most magic, vampire bites and werewolf bites as well. I feel like there is even more to Rylee that we have yet to discover.

Loved that there are different creatures in this book, ones you don't normally see in Urban Fantasy books, like Harpies, Unicorns (yep they kick some ass in this book), a different version of vampires/werewolves and some other creatures along the way. I appreciate that Mayer decided not to go to the traditional account with the creature and I liked that she had our side and the other side of the Veil. This just adds a whole new world element to the book and lets Mayer's imagination go even further.
 
I could have done with the insta-attraction aspect that was presented in the book as I was reading it, but the more that I have had a chance to think about this book, Rylee and O'Shea have known each other for years, have been enemies (yes that troupe) so having the attraction between them really wasn't that instant of an aspect when you look at the relationship as a whole. I'm just glad that Rylee and O'Shea have some sort of history with each other to establish the attraction to each other, even if it feel like a troupe.
 
I'm glad that is this an already established series, as there are quite a few books for me to pick up and hopefully enjoy. I hope that Mayer stays with the grittiness and darkness that is presented in this book. Can't wait to read the next one.

Enjoy!!!!
If You Like This,
Check These Out Too:
   

No comments:

Post a Comment