Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Ilona Andrews: Magic Rises

Ilona Andrews is back with her Kate Daniels' series and this time Kate and Curran are off to Europe in search of panacea which can save the youth of the clan:

Atlanta is always having magical problem, but this one will take Kate, Curran and the clan across the ocean to Europe. Kate has fought for her place amongst the pack, she has successfully hidden from her father Roland for years now, but there is nothing that Kate can do to reverse the affects or the consequences when a your Were goes Loup, which seems to be occurring more and more often. However, there is a possible cure a magical substance called panacea, that helps prevent and reverse the affects. There is a catch though, it is the European clans that control it and there is no love loss between Curran and the European clans. But when the clans come calling, Kate and Curran must head to Europe to help ensure their clan's future, but with the old time of the European court, you don't know who you can trust, nothing is ever what it seems and not everyone is going to make it out alive.

I have been reading in the paranormal/UF genre for quite a few years now, well before it became a must read or must write genre and I have picked up series along the way but have also dropped some of them as well (never really on purpose but things do fall by the wayside sometimes). However, this has never been true about Andrews' Kate Daniels series, from the first time I picked up Magic Bites all those years ago I have never once thought about not picking up and reading the next book in the series. When I received Magic Rises in the mail the only logical thing for me to do was to stop everything and reenter Kate's world and revisit everything I enjoy about this series, which is exactly what I did. I was not disappointed, this book was everything I wanted it to be and more and went back to everything that I missing in the previous books Magic Slays.

It was interesting to see the direction that Andrews' took with Hugh, it is not what I expected and I think that was the best part. I think I expected what Kate did, that he was not quite sure as to who Kate was and when he found out he would "Storm" the keep to get to her and kill her. What Andrew's came up with was much more interested, intriguing and complicated, all things that I think Andrews excelled in this novel.

I was extremely surprised that Andrews decided to actually kill off one of their main characters, complete shocker, as for the most part all of the Andrews characters have come out still alive in each novel. True there are physical and emotional scars but everyone is still alive, so I was shocked (and I think you will be too) with their decision to kill off a character. I personally like this new aspect in that they are leading into

My only issue with this book / series, it the over all lack of trust within Kate and Curran's relationship, I wish by now they cold trust each other more. I understand what has lead them to these moments in their relationship, but there comes a time where the person also has to change. I realize that some people will say that the lack of trust if just Kate being Kate, but Kate too needs to change and adapt to situations in order to survive and Curran has to stop trying to "protect" Kate whenever a situation arises, she has fought for her place in the pack, she is probably the most powerful out of everyone in the pack, she can hold her own. They need to start working together instead of against each other.

I do not think it is any secret that I LOVE the Kate Daniels series and I like how the books keep getting better and better and the Andrews continue to expand their characters and world. This series has everything that a reader in the UF/paranormal genre could want, mystery, action (quite a bit of action), great characters, adventure, new creatures in each book, romance and overall each book is a roller coast ride that keeps the reader guess and guessing, what more could a reader ask for. I cannot wait for the seventh book in this series as I hear this one will be the show down with Roland (which I am sure it is going to be insane). If you like paranormal/UF novels, you need to pick up this series. 

Enjoy!!!
If You Like This,
Check These Out Too:
     

No comments:

Post a Comment