Dungeon Crawler Cark has certainly been making the rounds on all the Book accounts this past year and I totally get the hype. This is not something that i would typically read as in the video game aspect of the book, but I would read a dystopian book so i figured i would enjoy this book. Yes I did enjoy it. It was fast paced, funny but still full of heart. You see the good and the bad of Human Kind through out this book and I think Carl really feels like your an average person.
Carl feels like the perfect person to focus on in this book. He is feels like your average male who is just living a basic life with his girlfriend and her cat. There is really nothing special about Carl and this is exactly what makes him special. He doesn't go into the dungeon with any special skills, he can stomp things, and kind of throw a punch. The one thing he does have is basic video game knowledge which he uses throughout the book to help explain aspects of the game to other players, Doughnut and the readers too.
I would be remiss not to mention Doughnut. Doughnut has become a phenomenon of her own (I do not joke, I saw a decal of her on the back of a truck the other day) and Doughnut is awesome for just being Doughnut. I appreciate that she tells it is like it is, from what was happening in their lives before they entered the dungeon (Poor Carl) and in the dungeon itself. She is selfish like a you would expect a talking cat to be and doesn't really have an inside voice or comments that she make.
You can also tell that there is more to come than just Carl and Doughnut navigating the game. There are not only Human rivals but the tension outside of the game as well. The whole social media aspect was very interesting as well and very on pace for people of Earth. Good to know we are not the only one addicted to social media.
The one thing that i found annoying in this book was all the loot opening boxes. it got really repetitive really fast and could have done without it after the first few. I understand they are important to the video game aspect of the book, I just found i was skipping those pages as mostly the received the same thing or something cool but you really didn't know how it was going to come into play right then anyway so the descriptions felt a little bit pointless. I feel if you took out the parts, the book would be around 30ish pages less.
I'm sold, I really enjoyed this book, it was fresh to me with the videogame aspect and I want to read more. I think that Dinniman has created a unique dystopian world and a cast of characters that are not only loveable but real as well (as real as a talking cat can be). I look forward to continuing on with this series.

No comments:
Post a Comment