Sunday, June 25, 2023

Annette Marie: Three Mages and a Margarita

In the first in a new Urban Fantasy series Annette Marie has a human stubble headfirst into an underground magic world:

Tori, is down on her luck, she just got fired from another serving job and she is once again struggling to make ends meet. Her luck seems to be changing when she finds a flyer that has a job for a bartender, that's on the wrong side of town, but Tori is willing to take anything she can take at this point. Though she felt really thrown off trying to enter the bar, once the gig starts, she finds her groove and puts a few patrons in their place. But during her shift there are a few questioning things that happen and showing up for her second shift it turns out that Tori is the only Human in that bar.

This is the second book that I have read by Marie recently and it is the first book in the overall Guild World that Marie has created. The world building is not intense and I think that there is more to come as this really is a human stumbling in to the Urban Fantasy world and after the complete shock of the world existing but trying to figure out the world consists of. I personally enjoy a human stumbling into a new world, I think it adds a different dynamic as Tori is really a fish out of water.

I like Tori as a character, she has a temper and does not take anything from anyone. Now this does hinder her ability to hold onto a job, but it does create some entertaining senecios. Tori has a past and we get a glimpses of it in this book and i think more will come. Tori seemed almost superhuman at times, especially with an umbrella, that makes me wonder if there is something urban fantasy underlying in her heritage. And there are the times with the magic card as well, that makes me think that there is more than it seems.

I did the audiobook version of this book and it think that Cris Dukehart did a great job and I would listen to more audiobooks with her narrating.

I'm getting some vibes from this book that it may be heading towards a reverse harem type of trope, not sure if I will stick around if that is true. I think it will have to do with if this affects the overall plot of the books or is just something more on the sidelines.

This was a fun urban fantasy read, that there may not be anything entirely new here, but Marie puts her own spin on a few things that it does not seem to copy of other books I have read. This book was fast pace that is sure to keep you entertained from start to finish. I look forward to reading the next book in this series.

Enjoy!!!

If You Like This,
Check These Out Too:
    

No comments:

Post a Comment