Sunday, February 26, 2023

Annette Marie: The One and Only Crystal Druid

In the first of a series, Annette Marie shows that there are even things that the Fae are scared of:

Ten years previously Saber risked everything in order to escape the horror that had become her life, but it only lead to death, a murder conviction and amnesia. She cannot remember anything that happened that night, maybe that is why the MPD decided to let her out on parole eventually. Now Saber works for an animal rescue agency as well as at vet clinic as a vet tec, trying to keep a low profile, trying to stay out of trouble. But trouble finds her one night as she hunts for a man who has mistreated horses that were dropped off at the rescue, when the Crystal Druid shows up hunting a powerful being that is hunting and killing animals and Fae, by stealing their hearts. Saber offers to help to save herself, but this creature is far more sinister and powerful than Saber could ever have imagined, so much for keeping a low profile.

This is the first book that I have read for Marie and I am here for the very cool world that she has created. I love that there are witches and druids and so many things that go bump in the night. I found that the  all the different creatures that Saber encounters along the way in just this book to be extremely interesting and suspenseful at time as you never really know what is going to jump out behind the next corner. I also appreciate that Marie takes things darker at times, from when Saber fights with her switch blade to when her and the Druid, Zak, decide to get it on a bit.

I enjoyed Saber as a character, I would say that she is a morally grey character and really the anti-hero at times when she encounters someone who has harmed an animal. I cannot fault her for her love of all creatures. I enjoyed that Marie took the time to show us parts of Saber's past, but yet at the same time, I feel like I did not really know her as a character and I still have so many more questions, mainly around why she is unable to perform magic, and I still don't fully understand her background completely, or what happened that day with her Aunt.

Zak is an interesting character and I want to know more about him and all the favours that he has garnered from the Fae to get the powers that he has, as well as the mistress he seems to have as well. 

So this was a good read, but I want to know more about the main characters and have them feel more developed in order to really enjoy this series. I look forward to reading the next book in the series

Enjoy!!!!
If You Like This,
Check These Out Too:
    

No comments:

Post a Comment