Thursday, November 25, 2010

Cat Adams: Blood Song

Cat Adams (aka C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp),bring one of their first book writing under this name and this is the first book in their Blood Singer Series. 

Celia Grave, is a bodyguard with a great reputation and comes at a high price but she is worth the money but this means she gets her share of weird human and supernatural assignments. So when she is approached to guard one of the Princes of Rusland, while he has fun in his final days a bachelor, she isn’t too concerned, other than getting a funny feeling from the person who recruited her for the job the job should be easy. This time she should have listened to her gut. Betrayed by the people who employed her, Celia wakes up on a metal slab, happy to be alive but she has changed, she is now half vampire and the only survivor and witness to the attack. However, the people who betrayed her are using strong magic, maybe even demonic magic, as there is no evidence of a crime scene and Celia cannot remember what had happened the day before. Determined to find who set her up, and the vampire that attempted to sired her (so she can kill him), Celia knows she doesn’t have much time before her sire will come looking for her and for the people who betrayed to know that she survived the attack. But the more people Celia talks to the more she puts them all in danger and it is not just danger from her unknown foes but from herself as she can feel the Bloodlust rising in her.

First off, I will say I have never read anything before by Adams & Clamp so I was not sure what to expect or their writing style. I love the cover of this book, it is part of the reason that I picked the book up; however, I wish the book was as good as the cover. This is not to say that the book was bad, I just had a "meh" (or Okay) feeling while I was reading it. The paranormal genre is growing larger and larger each year, there is a plethora of books out there and authors need to do something different these days to stand out. I feel like there are many books on the market these days that follow a formula have A and B, introduce C and D and we have a plot and a story. So I guess what I am trying to say is that I have read this story before, the characters are different, and the paranormal aspects may be different, but the story is the same.

My other main complaint is that this is a short book (268 pages in my Nook) and it feels like I only really got half of a story and it was a rush to finish it at the end. It also seemed liked Adams was just trying too hard, I mean part way through the book, all of a sudden they decide to mention that the Celia  can be contacted by ghosts, especially her sisters ghost, you think she would have used this or mentioned this earlier.

All in all not my favourite book or debut, as I said more of a “meh” or okay feeling about it. It had some interesting aspects, but not enough to keep that interested in the series. I think the only way I would read the next book is if more than one person wrote a rave review about it, even then, there are some many other and better books and series out there.

Cheers!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi! New follower here! Nice review you got.

    Feel free to come by my blog:

    http://buoyreading.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    Happy Friday! I'm stopping by for Follow Friday and the Blog Hop to say hello. I hope you have a great weekend. I love your blog and I'm happy I found you. :)

    I'm a new follower.
    Romance Book Junkies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just love your blog, so I'd like to give you an award.

    Click here to see the award at my blog!

    -- Ashley (Bookaholic Does Blogging)

    ReplyDelete