Friday, October 2, 2020

Kelley Armstrong: Alone in the Wild

This is the fifth book in Kelley Armstrong's Rockton series, so you are going to want to read the previous four books (City of the Lost, A Darkness Absolute, This Fallen Prey & Watcher in the Woods) in order to appreciate not only this book but the series/characters/setting of the books.

Kelly Armstrong is back with the next installment in her Rockton novel, and Casey is about to find the unthinkable in the forest:

Dalton and Casey are enjoying some much needed alone time on a camping trip when Casey hears the strangest sound in the forest, a baby crying. She knows that there are no babies in Rockton and that they are not close to any of the settlement camps, and the crying is getting more and more frantic. She takes her dog Storm into the woods and discovers a grizzly site. The murdered body of a woman, with a very much alive baby hidden beneath her jackets. Casey is able to determine that this woman is not the baby's mother, but who is? Casey won't just give this baby back to anyone and who would murder a woman who was carrying a baby? There are two mysteries to solve and Casey has to decide that if she does find the mother of the child alive is the baby better off in Rockton?

The previous book in this series was not my favourite, I felt it was a little slow and had a lot of filler that didn't need to be there, so I was hoping that that book was not going to start a downward trend in this series. I am happy to report that I loved this book, if I would have been able to read this in one sitting I would have, but you know life sometimes catches up to you. I was sneaking every minute I could reading this book as I did not want to put it down.

I liked the new dynamic the baby brought not only to Casey and Eric but to the whole town. It was like the baby was such a foreign thing that people did not expect to ever see again, or at the very least a long time and it kind of brought out the better in everyone. The baby really affected Casey as well, it has been said many times before that she is unable to have children due to the beating/assault that she received as a young woman, I liked that is showed more a Casey’s compassionate side with trying to find the babies mother, but in a way you can tell secretly hoping that the baby is able to stay.

There was a drastic increase in the interaction with the settlers and others who have chosen to live in the forest, away from all civilization. I like that Armstrong was able to show that not all of the settlement and groups are the same and each has their own set of rules and values that they live by.

April is a really strong addition to the town and the story line, not only is she a doctor and Casey's sister but she is also on the Autism spectrum so she see the world different and relationships differently from other people. I like the blunt perspective that she gives, but also that she is working on having relationships with not only Casey but other people in Rockton as well, something I don't think her or Casey thought could/would happen.

This is great mystery/suspense series that I have really enjoyed. I love the uniqueness of the characters and the need to get back to basic for investigation and tracking just based upon the location of the town. I enjoy that the mysteries differ in each book and it's not serial killer after serial killer (i'm sure there might be one or two in the town but you know...). I'm really looking forward to the next book in this series.

Enjoy!!!
If You Like This,
Check These Out Too:
   

No comments:

Post a Comment