Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Alice Feeney: Good Bad Girl

Alice Feeney takes readers on a journey of four women, all who are good but have done some bad deeds:

Everyone has secrets, everyone lies every once in a while, thinking that they had done something for the greater good. But what happens when what you think is right turns out to wrong. Edith is currently living in a nursing home, where she doesn’t want to be, she hates her daughter Clio for putting her there and her nurse Patience is the only individual she now trusts. Patience has been lying to Edith since day one, and part of that is that she has ran away from her mother Freddie for the lies that she has been told. All the women have things they regret, all have secrets and lies that they want to remain hidden, but they are all about to be thrust together in a mystery that spans over 20 years.

I am finding that Feeney is hit or miss for me and I think that the miss part is when she goes more to the domestic suspense side of things, instead of the murder side of things. I am not going to Lie I was boarded for probably 70% of the this book. It was much more about how the people were connected to eat other, which was interesting in a way, but I was able to figure out most of that early on. With this mainly figured out, I wanted to know more about the murder investigation and it seemed odd to me that this investigation was a side point/secondary aspect in the novel. Like why would a murder investigation be left off to the periphery of the plot. I mean this is where the interest really lies as to who killed Joy and Why. And while we do get the answer of this in the end it's just a bit rushed is all.

I think this suffered from a few too many POV as there are four and each one seems to get as much airtime as the last one and all of them in their win way are similar to the last one. I think the only one that was truly interesting was Edith's, with her sharp whit and being from a different generation from the other three characters.

I wasn’t expecting this book to be a domestic suspense one, I wanted it to be the twisty thriller that the premise promised to me. While there are some interesting events that happen in this book, the plot never really focused on the most interesting part. I will read another book by Feeney, i would just try to discern if the book is more murder than domestic.

Cheers!!!!

Instead Of This,
Check These Out:
    

No comments:

Post a Comment