Friday, September 1, 2023

Rebecca Yarros: Fourth Wing

In the first book in a new series, Rebacca Yarros has readers enter the brutal world of Dragon Riders.

Violet Sorrengail is used to living in her mother and siblings’ shadows, she is okay with it. She has been training to be a scribe like her father most of her life. But after her father and brother's death her mother, who is a captain, has decided that she will now become a Dragon Rider. Becoming a Dragon Rider is brutal, you don’t just have to worry about the trials you have to worry about other candidates trying to kill you or a dragon trying to incinerate you. Violet is smaller and frailer than any of the other candidates and everyone knows a Dragon wont bond with a weak human, she needs every edge that she can in order to survive to the next day.

Alright, Wow, that book was amazing, from start to finish I did not want to put the book down. I personally think that this book is worth the hype and if you haven't had a chance to read it yet, you should totally pick a copy up (if you can find one). I love that this book is about Dragons, I think that we have lost this motif in the past few years as other creatures have taken the forefront but I really happy that we are back at Dragons. I think that the Dragons and the relationship between the dragon and the rider will be a highlight for many people in this book. I hope in future books that we get a dragon POV even just a chapter here and there.

From the very beginning we are shoved into the world that Violet is living in and it is not a kind/safe one. I personally loved that the book was darker than I thought that it would be and it is dark right from the beginning. Death is a constant companion throughout the book of characters you know and don’t know, but death is coming.

Violet is a character that you want to root for right from the beginning, with her being forced to enter the dragon riders even though she had been training to be a scribe. Violet is further disadvantaged by the fact that she had a sickness growing up that has affected her growth and development. But she does have her mind and her training as a scribe to rely on.

I think that the one thing that is lacking in this book is the world building, there is not a lot of world building that occurs and what is given in the books seems a bit convoluted and doesn’t make a lot of sense. This is due to the fact that we only have Violet’s POV and the world building is very much shaped by what she knows and experienced. So I hope that there is more information in the next book.

Was able to figure out the twist ending, but that did not take away from my overall enjoyment of the book and the cliffhanger just makes you want to pick up the next book.

I know this will be one of my favourite reads this year and 5 stars as well. I borrowed a copy of the library as you never know if a book is going to be worth the hype (especially coming from TikTok) or not but after reading it I know I am going to want my own copy and pre-order a copy of the next book.

Enjoy!!!

If You Like This,
Check These Books Out:
    

No comments:

Post a Comment