Thursday, September 28, 2023

Megan Goldin: Dark Corners

This is the second book in the Rachel Krall series, the first book is The Night Swim and it is an amazing read, but you do not have to read this book in order to read Dark Corners, there are some general references back to The Night Swim but nothing major.

Megan Goldin bring Rachel Krall and her podcast back, but this time Rachel is directly involved in the investigation:

Rachel Krall has made a name for herself with her true crime podcast, and this success has been a blessing but also a curse. She has become a household name, and the last hope for many who are seeking Justice but it has also put a target on her back. Terrance Baily is about to be released from prison, problem is that the local police believe that he is a serial killer. When Terrance gets his first visitor ever, an up-and-coming social media influencer, who then vanishes it is discovered that Rachel's name came up in their interaction. The FBI are at a dead end and want Rachel's help to determine if Terrance had a hand in her disappeared even from behind bars. When a woman's body turns up, Rachel knows that she's no longer there just to get Terrance to talk but to find a murderer as well.

The Night Swim was one of my favourite books of 2020, so i was extremely happy that Goldin decided to bring Rachel Krall back for another one. But I will say that this book is no Night Swim and it took me a bit to get into this book. I think part of the reason is that I wasn’t a fan of Rachel being involved with the actual investigation from the beginning. She has her own way of doing things and what she finds out we are given in her podcast reports a little later in the book. By her being part of the investigation it felt like she was hampered in a way and I much preferred when she was doing her own thing.

I missed the podcast parts in this book, I feel like it had a lot less than the Night Swim.

I'm not the biggest fan of books where we know who the killer is and we are waiting for the main characters to catch up. This takes away the mystery for me and all that is left is how some things are connected together. I will say the evidence pieces that are needed to solve the story are interesting and well thought out, I just wish i didn’t know who the killer was beforehand other than some hints along the way. 

I'm not sure I am the only one, but the relationship seemed forced to me. I mean it did not add anything to the story it was kind of like you're attractive, I'm attractive we should be attractive together. At least Goldin didn't add in a sex scene then i would be done.

I still enjoyed this book, it just did not live up to my expectations. I really enjoy Rachel as a character and her podcast angle is well done, which is why I wanted more of it. I do hope to read more books with Rachel as the main character and what next case she will investigate next.

Enjoy!!!

If You Like This,
Check These Out Too:
    


No comments:

Post a Comment