Sunday, August 23, 2026

Lynette Noni: The Prison Healer

 

In the first in a series, Lynette Noni show the length a girl has had to go to to survive ten years in prison.

I had not heard of Noni or this series before, but I am extremely happy that I picked this book up and that the trilogy is completed as you better believe I will be picking the next book up ASAP. This book had me hooked from the beginning mainly with Kiva's character and what she has been forced to do and then as the plot unfolds I could not turn the pages fast enough. There are deadly trials in this book, but I found they were secondary to the overall plot as Kiva waits to be rescued (she has been waiting for ten years) and her dedication to figuring out a deadly illness that has appeared in the prison. The ending of the book, the twist I don't think anyone will see it coming, it was so well done.

Kiva is both liked and hated within the prison as she has had to do anything to survive in a prison since she was seven. This means that she has spied for the warden, been loyal to the warden therefore against the prisoners, manly those who are part of the rebellion. But Kiva is also the prison doctor so those who hate her also need her and Kiva does everything in her ability in order to help them.

This book is considered YA but due to the fact that Kiva has had to grow up really fast in order to survive in the prison, I do not feel like she reads as a teenage character. She is wiser than her years and you can tell that she has seen some things and survived a lot of things.

The world building is okay. I understand most of it, but due to the fact that Kiva was 7 when she was imprisoned, we don't get much about the outside world. We know there is a rebellion going on, that would seek to usurp the current ruling family and that members of the royal family have elemental powers. So the world building that we do get is that within the prison and the lives that people have there. I think the farther we get into the trilogy more will become known, so this did not take away from my overall enjoyment of this book.

I really enjoyed this book. It is fast paced YA fantasy that I think adults will also enjoy. It's a completed trilogy so no waiting for the next books to come out and you'll want to next book on hand after the cliffhanger at the end of this book. To me this is YA fantasy done right.

Enjoy!!!!
If You Like This,
Check These Out Too:
    

No comments:

Post a Comment