Thursday, February 24, 2022

Leigh Bardugo: Shadow and Bone

In the first in a series, Leigh Bardugo what woman will do to protect her Country:

The Shadow Fold (a dark area full of monsters) cuts the once great nation of Ravka in half, and each year makes Ravka more and more vulnerable to their enemies. Alina was a orphan who grew up in a big family home and it was only made better by her best friend Mal comes to live their as well. They have been inseparable sense and even joined the army when they got older. Now they are to cross the Shadow Fold for the first time. When their convoy was attacked, an unknown magic is released from Alina, one that the most powerful magic used in Ravka has been looking for, one of pure sunlight. Alina's life is now changed forever, she needs to master her magic in order to help save Ravka, but forces do not want her to succeed and there are threats both far away and close to home.
 
I did enjoy this book but it felt like it was just there to set up to the second one. I know that the first book is supposed to that but for being 356 pages not a lot really happens within those pages. A lot of the book is dedicated to Alina not believing in herself and her allowing other to do things for her. I wanted more of a plot to unfold that what occurred in the book, it felt like it was all left to the last quarter of the book.

I liked Alina as a character, in the end, but why did Bardugo feel the need to make her beautiful. I mean why could she have just stayed herself in appearance? I think that her being not someone everyone wanted defined who she was and was actually a strong quality as she did not think too much of herself. At the same time I felt like she was all too willing to have those around take care of her and not have to put any thought into what she is doing.

I personally like The Darkling as a character, I felt like he was portrayed really well in the book and all the mystery surrounding him by the other Grisha and people of Ravka. Side not has anyone else realized how close Grisha and Geisha.

World building is okay as I would like to know more about the other regions in this world, but I think that will come later in the book. I am also interested in the history of this world as to why they are all fighting.

This was a good book and I will continue on in the series, I’m just hoping that the next book in the series is one of more substance in the plot and world building and I hope that Bardugo can deliver in the next one.

Enjoy!!!!
If You Like This,
Check These Out Too: 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment