Monday, March 21, 2022

Sarah J. Maas: Throne of Glass

In the first of a series, Sarah J. Maas show, can an assassin really change her ways?

Celaena Sardothien was once the most feared assassin in the world, beautiful and deadly, but a deep betrayal has turned her into a slave in the mines. That is until she is summoned to the castle to win her freedom. All she has todo is defeat 23 men, all of who are competing to become the King’s Champion. Celaena has no desire to be the King’s champion but does desire her freedom. But there is a deep evil that dwells in the castle, an ancient evil that is wanting to rise again and the fight to be the champion turns into fight for survival. 
 
I'm pretty sure that I am one of the last people to start this series and I do not know why I did not pick it up sooner. I really enjoyed this book, I felt like there was never a dull moment, even when I was able to figure out the plot twists that were coming. Maas had a way of just drawing the reader in and having you become invested in the story and characters that I found the book hard to put down.

It was an interesting place to start a series with having Celaena already captured and working as a slave in the mines. There are many references to what happened to her before that I wish I would have read the novella that takes place before this one to better understand who Celaena was before and what events lead to her being a slave. Betrayal is thrown around a lot.

Celaena is character that you can get behind as an assassin she has a deadly set of skills but also the smarts in order to problem solve problems. But you can tell she has a moral code and wants to fight for what is right. That is what I find intriguing of her, maybe slightly Black Widowish and trying to eventually move her ledger to black.

World building is a bit lack luster as the majority of the book takes place in the palace and we hear very little about the outside world, only that it has been conquered by the king but I am hoping future books will expand on this. Additionally, did there have to be the love triangle. I know that it is down played in this book and not really a full on love triangle but why did there have to be a hint of one. Why cannot they all be friends? Is it because she is so beautiful? Also I wish that there was more action in the book, that was some instances of her showing her skills but I just wanted more.

This book was really good and had me reading any chance that I could get. This is the second Maas series that I have tried and I found I have enjoyed this one more than the first book in A Court of Thorns and Roses (though I'm probably in the minority there). I just found I liked Celaena as a character more and the overall plot of the book. I look forward to picking up the next book in the series and picking up the novella as well.

Enjoy!!!
If You Like This,
Check These Out Too:
   

No comments:

Post a Comment